My husband had this desk for a while and wasn't using it anymore, I had my eye on it and snagged it for project as soon as he gave me the okay! It was originally purchased from Retagit for $35 or so.
I had been reading a lot about Annie Sloan chalk paint and was itching to try it out for myself so I visited Fleurish, my local Annie Sloan stockist and purchased a quart of pure white, a small container of clear soft wax, a sample of paris grey, a short wax brush and a medium pure bristle brush.
I also got a bar of "big fat lye" soap to clean my brushes with as recommended by the staff. The brushes are an investment so I wanted to take good care of them!
It was still a little chilly when I started so I had to start the project inside. I began by laying tarp, removing the hardware and and taping off all the wood that I didn't want to paint. I coated the desk with two coats of pure white paint with my medium pure bristle paint brush.
I didn't love the pure white look and I wanted to give the desk some detailing and definition. After my coats of paint were complete, I did a full coat of the soft wax, buffing as I went to seal it it in. Instead of letting it fully dry, I mixed some paris grey paint with a fresh spoonful of wax and went back over all the edges, rungs etc. with it to add the detail I was looking for.
I let that sit for a full day, moved everything into the garage, retaped to protect the painting I had just done to prep to refinish the wood. I purchased Minwax brand wood finish in ebony and Minwax water based Polycrylic clear satin protective finish. After I taped, I fully sanded all of the wood as evenly as I could and then cleaned the desk.
I applied two coats of the stain, waiting about a day in between. After the second coat I left too much stain and it dried a little tacky. I got a clean rag, applied more stain to loosen the dried stain and wiped all of the excess off. This worked really well, I waited another day just to be sure everything was dry and then applied two coats of the protective finish. (The second set of images were taken before this process when I had too much stain)